Thursday, March 7, 2013

Final Reflection

1.  I have learned many valuable lessons throughout this course, including how to make integrating technology in my classroom a meaningful experience for all.  The more I am able to integrate technology and make learning interactive and hands-on, the much more likely I am to have fifth graders who are engaged and motivated to do the task at hand.  I found two assignments from this course to be especially effective when trying to integrate technology.  The StAIR design kept my kids engaged and excited about learning new information about nonfiction text structures.  The WebQuest I created was especially helpful in launching our solar system unit in science, and provoked a sense of excitement in the kids I hadn't seen before when they realized they would be able to create a PowerPoint presentation on an object in space for a performance-based assessment.  Both the StAIR and WebQuest incorporate technology and are effective ways for me to teach specific parts of these units.  I will definitely use these strategies next year as well.  It is a great way to keep learning interesting and fresh!

2. There are more techology resources out there than anyone realizes, however, not all are up to date or reliable and as a teacher, I have to be careful about what my students are researching and how they are getting their information.  I enjoyed evaluating other web-based technologies, especially the WebQuests because it also gave me the opportunity to see what other WebQuests are out there for use that would apply to the curriculum I teach. 

3.  I am proud of what I have learned in this course and already been able to apply within my own classroom.  My fifth graders are currently creating PowerPoint presentations on planets and other objects in our universe and are thrilled to have this opportunity.  We have spent a great deal of time researching, collecting notes on Google Docs to share with partners, and they can't wait to show off their presentations for their family members next in two weeks.  I have been able to share much of what I have learned not only with my students, but also with colleagues and administration, which was a goal of mine. 

4.  I always am setting goals for myself and when it comes to technology, I am hoping to continue to share information regarding ways to integrate technology into the classroom with my students and colleagues.  I am planning on teaching others at a staff meeting how to use Google Docs and other Google resources, as well as VoiceThread.  My goal is to continue to use PowerPoint as a way to teach new information with the Kiosk form, and also to create and use new WebQuests for other areas in the curriculum. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you found so many useful things during this course--and even happier to hear that you have already implemented them in your classroom. I think the key to really understanding your role as a technology educator is that you understand the need to keep learning, keep exploring and keep moving forward. It is a challenging task! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete