Sunday, February 24, 2013

Educational Technology

I have found through my technological research that the two sources of technology that would benefit my teaching and my student's learning are the following:
  • WebQuests
  • Wikis
WebQuests are such a wonderful way to incorporate what students are learning into an interactive online presentation.  I feel students can participate in a WebQuest in an curricular area, however, the WebQuests that are most beneficial to my teaching are in science.  I love the user-friendly format for kids to navigate and participate in these WebQuests.  They are able to learn new information throughout the process, and the objectives are laid out in a clear format in order to make sure students are applying what they have learned.  I am looking forward to using many more WebQuests throughout this year.  My fifth graders loved the format and were so motivated to create the final assignment in the WebQuest I created for the Solar System unit in science. 

When I think about my fifth graders moving on to middle school, I think about how efficient Wiki pages would be for our end of the year field trip and organizing information that way.  Or the Wiki page I created, for example, demonstrates how you can use a Wiki to help prepare kids for middle school from supply lists to organizational methods to behavior recommendations.  It would be a great idea for an elementary school teacher to use a Wiki to share with parents and have them be able to add and include their own ideas and communicate to parents and students using this type of communication. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found the webquest helpful and are looking forward to using it again. I think they have a lot of potential to really engage our students in learning--and really teach them all the web has to offer as a resource. I love-love using wikis for organizing all sorts of things--from professional development workshops to my own kids work.

    ReplyDelete