Saturday, March 30, 2013

Group Collaboration

It's always an interesting experience when meeting with a group for the first time, especially when it is done all online.  Often times I feel it doesn't always go the way you think it will.  Google Hangout with all of its great features included, such as the ability to record the session, take screen shots, comment on other's thoughts, etc. seemed like a great option.  However, our session came with its obstacles and for me, it became quite frustrating.  When all was said and done, we did figure out what technology resource we are going to focus on for our Professional Development topic and what tool we will use to demonstrate.  We also assigned roles and guidelines of who will be doing what within our group project.  All in all, it was a successful collaborative meeting.

There were some frustrating moments for me within our meeting due to the fact I tested my microphone before the session to make sure it was working, and then when it came time for Google Hangout, none of my group members could hear me.  Fortunately, I was able to communicate with each of the members by commenting/messaging on the right hand side of the screen.  I did feel as though my thoughts were being "heard."  I did like this feature and was able to communicate back and forth this way throughout the session (luckily I'm a fast typer)!  We went with Google Hangout for its convenience and ability to record (but that didn't work for our group).  I liked being able to capture screen shots and look back at information and what was said during the meeting.  I am able to look back at the notes of who is in charge of what for our presentation and any other information to help guide this project.  We will use Google Hangout again, I just need to figure out my microphone situation and then should be good to go.

Screenshot of Text

I do feel this collaboration tool would be helpful during after school meetings or parent-teacher conferences if there are parents who are not able to make it.  I would love to use this Google Hangout for occasions like these, rather than a phone conference.  That way you can have a recording and documentation of what was discussed.  It would also be helpful to have for IEP situations if not all members can be present at the school, or again to have the session recorded and documented due to all of the data that is constantly needing to be collected for students.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your detailed post, and sharing the collaboration process. Your ideas for using this at school for parent meetings, etc. is a great one.

    ReplyDelete